August 22, 2007

Those crazy Koreans

I'm a big fan of Japanese movies, from anime to Kurosawa. But I recently went looking for a change of diet and discovered some great Korean movies:

- 3 Iron, about a transient who lives in the houses of people on vacation.
- Oldboy, a fantastic, kinetic movie about a man who is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years and then inexplicably released.
- Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, a beautiful, stately (read: slow-moving) Buddhist parable.
- Tae Guk Gi, The Brotherhood of War, a (somewhat melo)dramatic Korean War epic in which brothers fight on opposites sides.
- The Host, a funny, offbeat modern monster movie with an environmental, antiestablishment bent.

Of the bunch, I'd say "The Host" is the most accessible, but "Oldboy" was my favorite.

2 comments:

EVK4 said...

I'm going to put all of these on my "tivo" wish list.

Hallagan said...

test 1,2,3